Julian Lennon writes about his father

Julian Lennon wrote the Foreword for his mother’s book, “John”. It's Cynthia Lennon's biographical account of her involvement with John Lennon (Hodder & Stoughton, 2005).

 
From Julian Lennon's Foreword:
 
“I know that Dad was an idol to millions who grew up loving his music and his ideals. But to me he wasn't a musician or a peace icon, he was the father I loved and who let me down in so many ways. After the age of five, when my parents separated, I saw him only a handful of times, and when I did he was often remote and intimidating. I grew up longing for more contact with him but felt rejected and unimportant in his life.
... ... While Dad was fast becoming one of the wealthiest men in his field, Mum and I had very little and she was going out to work to support us.”

Nine years after Primal Therapy, in the spring of 1979, John Lennon invited Julian to the United States for his sixteenth birthday, in the Easter holidays. This is what Cynthia Lennon wrote in her book about what happened [page 356 in the paperback edition].

“John's erratic behaviour around Julian continued — fun one moment and violent anger the next. And he could be like this with Sean too, reducing the little boy to tears of terror. Fred Seaman, or sometimes Yoko, would act as a buffer when John lost his temper. Julian was constantly on tenterhooks, sensing that an eruption was coming and retreating to his room in the hope of avoiding it.
 
One incident in particular did him lasting damage. The whole family had been having fun, making Mickey Mouse pancakes and fooling around, when Julian giggled. John turned on him and screamed, ‘I can't stand the way you fucking laugh! Never let me hear your fucking horrible laugh again.’ He continued with a tirade of abuse until Julian fled once again to his room in tears. It was monstrously cruel and has affected him ever since. To this day he seldom laughs.”
See also:
 
Footnote:
There's a http://debunkingprimaltherapy.com/ website, to which I contributed some book quotes, including the ones on this page.